"CATCH ME LIVE!"

I sing every Monday to Saturday at Holiday Inn Atrium, Singapore - 7:45pm to 10:45pm.
Free entrance at the Lobby Lounge. Find out more below:

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=193307951274&index=1

Profession: Singer, actress, mistress of ceremony (or emcee), model, drama trainer.
Gillian Tan finally has a casual & regular blog. This is Z Jil. Thanks for popping by!

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Night 12 - Do That To Me One More Time

Night of wine and gobbles, laugh and run away...

Well, this was my dinner. I realise I am terrible at uploading pictures. So here. :-)

I always segment my food to protect the integrity and flavour of each dish.

Don't the fried worms look good?

Kidding, it's mee tai bak (of course it can be spelled and pronounced a few hundred other ways). A Chinese (ethnically, not nationally) hawker flour noodle dish literally translated as mouse tails.

Speaking of Chinese, I was asked to sing a Mandarin song. I had cleaned up my file and not included any Mandarin songs but I searched and found Teresa Teng's "yue liang dai biao wo de xin" (The Moon Represents My Heart) and did a heartfelt rendition of it with Adi. It was heartfelt because I couldn't allow the focus to fall on my less-than-perfect enunciation of the words. Haha!

The requesters were happy with it and asked for more Mandarin ones for their next visit. They were locals, applauding every song. They even offered me some red wine which I believe is healthy. I also had tea which created a good balance I think. :-)

I was a little absent-minded today and forgot my contact lenses. So I sang without my glasses, challenging myself with my own private game of Don't Forget the Lyrics. I must say I did pretty well. Not that absent-minded after all. Well, some single words were a little far off but I recalled in time when I had to repeat those verses or choruses. I got through "Do That To Me One More Time" with the tiny lyrics in front of me and squinted only a few times. Phew! Now I hope to do it one more time without the lyrics in front of me.

I spoke a lot tonight between songs relating facts and personal stories. A trio of Scottish travellers, who came by last night as well, told me tonight that they enjoyed watching us and said that we made the atmosphere very cheery, happy and inviting. That has to be one of the kindest and sweetest things I have heard since starting my gig here. Thank you...

No comments:

Post a Comment