"CATCH ME LIVE!"

I sing every Monday to Saturday at Holiday Inn Atrium, Singapore - 7:45pm to 10:45pm.
Free entrance at the Lobby Lounge. Find out more below:

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=193307951274&index=1

Profession: Singer, actress, mistress of ceremony (or emcee), model, drama trainer.
Gillian Tan finally has a casual & regular blog. This is Z Jil. Thanks for popping by!

Saturday, January 2, 2010

Night 2 at Holiday Inn - Grateful

2nd of January.

It was a nice day for me and I slept quite well the night, ok morning, before. I still have positive vibes and thoughts from the Blue Moon night and my wish was still clear in my mind and heart. Not taking it too seriously actually but happy to be given the opportunity to make a magical wish!

So I put on my Blue-moon-charged silver locket and off I went, armed with new handwritten lyrics of songs which I had promised to some guests tonight.

I decided on a tube top with a festive sheen to go with a long black skirt, a pretty hand-me-down from someone from last year. I would normally be wise enough to bring my performance outfit in my bag and change just before my gig, but decided today to wear it right after my shower. That's right, I showered! Alas, when I got to the mouth of the station, I saw that the train travelling in my desired direction was arriving in 1 minute and the next would only appear 6 minutes later.

So?

I ran.

And of course people do not stand on one side on the escalator steps. Instead they stand rooted side by side each other, without realising that some other people are trying to get through. A dozen excuse-me's later and a vain race up the escalators, I discovered that my tube top was kinda sticky from my workout. Eeyew.

For the next 5 minutes, I waited along the platform, wishing I hadn't bothered to shower.

At the hotel, I had a lovely night with Adi and the guests. My marvellous friends from What The, a band of talented, creative and passionate musicians, came for the 2nd and 3rd set. How sweet and encouraging of them! I was thrilled also when the same Australian couple from last night returned. They wanted to hear Rod Stewart and so I belted out my proudly scribbled "Have I Told You Lately" originally by Van Morrison for his 1989 album Avalon Sunset, which became a hit for Stewart in 1993. The Japanese guests from Friday asked for a Japanese song so I prepared "Ue o muite arukō" (meaning "I look up when I walk" but more popularly known as "Sukiyaki"). However they hadn't return, yet. So I will save that for another time which means I can perfect it on my own.

Just before the last set ended, a request for "Besame Mucho" came in along with a few other songs but time wasn't on our side. Closing the set with the 1940 Mexican classic, I reminded everyone that they can find Adi and me at the Lobby Lounge on Mondays to Saturdays. Someone commented (not rudely) that I talked a lot so I asked back with a smile (definitely not a challenge) after I was off the microphone, if he preferred my singing or talking. His reply was adorable: "Can you sing Hokkien song?" And I said "if you return I shall prepare one for you!" He was pleasant and yes, I may do one for him soon. :-)

Before I went home, I went around chatting with the Australian couple, my friends and the family who requested "Besame Mucho". The Australian couple offered another drink but I still had my once-hot chocolate. The family were very generous with their compliments and we talked a little about spirituality. They liked my description of religion as a tool so much they had me write it down. Then they gave me a little book entitled "Heart Of A Buddha" filled with wisdom & kindness.

I was too late but wish I had taken care of the bill for What The, who patiently and kindly listened to and applauded each song. I will find a way to take care of that, perhaps at our jam session later on (it's past 6am on Sunday morning).

Someone who came by towards the end of our last set was a dear to send me all the way home in the bus. :-) I definitely had fun on my second night and am grateful for everything from the book, the hot chocolate, the music and most importantly, I am immensely grateful for everyone who was there.

Adi was very kind to lend me his camcorder on this night so I shall find a way to put videos up. So watch this space!

2 comments:

  1. zjil go out way earlier then usual...stroll to train stn...read..or sleep..have a great all u can eat free buffet...eat slowly ..savour every morsel..enjoy!!! Eat Drink Man Woman..

    ReplyDelete