"CATCH ME LIVE!"

I sing every Monday to Saturday at Holiday Inn Atrium, Singapore - 7:45pm to 10:45pm.
Free entrance at the Lobby Lounge. Find out more below:

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=193307951274&index=1

Profession: Singer, actress, mistress of ceremony (or emcee), model, drama trainer.
Gillian Tan finally has a casual & regular blog. This is Z Jil. Thanks for popping by!

Friday, January 15, 2010

Night 13 - Unforgettable

Now I was soooo tired I couldn't blog tonight so this is written, or typed, over 24 hours later. And now we travel baaack in time to Friday night.

It was a lovely evening, except I felt a wee bit nervous about my mom coming to watch with her friends. Would I screw up?

Thankfully, no! And there were a few imperfect starts which were great for challenging improvisations and twists to the songs. I even sang an original song a capella, and it is called... I haven't figured out a title yet. This is how it goes, an old very simple poem written sometime over the course of my childhood:

The nightingale sings her lonesome song,
Her tunes are never wrong.
The moonlight dances across the lake.
Here's my hand for you to take.
The watch on your wrist tells us you must go.
My heart is breaking oh so slow.
And just one last time, please hold me tight,
And darling, kiss me goodnight.

(Copyright, by Gillian Tan, can you hear the melody too?)

I can never remember lyrics to my songs but this one was easy for me. I wonder why. Maybe cos it was so simple and short? Well, people seemed to like it. My mom's friends from Australia were there. One of them was a professional performer and came up on stage to duet with me on "Unforgettable" and "Let There Be Love". He also delivered "L.O.V.E." as a solo. Amazing quality and command in his voice!

Now I think the cutest thing about my mom visiting was that most of the guests, who were either friendly regulars or travellers who have been coming by consecutively for the last few nights, were very excited to meet her! She joked with them and they loved her. :-)

I had a wonderful photo shoot in the afternoon at the Furama Riverfront (I sang at a wedding there once) right across the street from the Holiday Inn Atrium. The photographer was such a sweetheart to not just offer me the keys for the room that night (which would otherwise go to waste, which I also gave to my mom), but also take care of me by calling me a cab for my next meeting and getting me lunch. Then he came by for an overpriced cola (I shoulda taken care of that but he beat me to it!!) even though he was so tired from a day of shoot and was going to work at 6am the next morning. The sad part is that when he walked in, I had just finished my set with "Blue Bayou" done in a key higher than my usual which I could only describe as strained butchering. Sigh!!

No point kicking myself, you schizo. I shall return with a vengeance when I next perform that song and it will be stellar! Ok Jill whatever you say. I say? Just you wait and see. Or hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment