"CATCH ME LIVE!"

I sing every Monday to Saturday at Holiday Inn Atrium, Singapore - 7:45pm to 10:45pm.
Free entrance at the Lobby Lounge. Find out more below:

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=193307951274&index=1

Profession: Singer, actress, mistress of ceremony (or emcee), model, drama trainer.
Gillian Tan finally has a casual & regular blog. This is Z Jil. Thanks for popping by!

Thursday, January 7, 2010

Night 6 - Imagine

Quiet Night of Quiet Stars. Yes it was.

But we didn't do that song. We started late tonight on account of me. Rushing from Jurong Camp 2, not 1, but 2. It has to be very clear or one will get lost. The sad and simple, even funny and annoying, reason why I and a whole lot of others got lost was that we were sent an email with the map for Jurong Camp 1. Grrrr....

Thanks to an efficient cab driver who also made great conversation, I made it to the Holiday Inn Atrium by 8:06pm. And our first set went on without a hitch. Very quiet but intimate and friendly. Some regulars were there, a few tourists were chatting at the bar, and a business meeting was going on just behind us right outside the lounge area. We had a request for "Fly Me To The Moon", one of my favourites.

I am happy that we did some fresh songs together. I last sang these at weddings in the last few months but never at the Lobby Lounge: "La Bamba" & "Over The Rainbow". I butchered "Misty" so will master that soon. Sigh. For the very first time, I crooned "Ue o muite arukō" (meaning "I look up when I walk" aka "Sukiyaki") and explained it was a sad song despite its hopeful melody. That worked out quite spectacularly so am raring to do it again especially if we have Japanese guests!

I told everyone how Billy Joel's drummer would sing along on stage just in case Joel forgot his own lyrics. As a songwriter myself (I'm so not a big deal though), I know how common that is. "Just The Way You Are" was written for his first wife so after the divorce, his drummer would sing "I could not love her any longer. She took the house, she took the car..." (it varies a little) and sometimes Joel would sing that by mistake. So I put that in too!

Instead of chatting with the guests since I only walked around to say hi to the few who weren't engaged in serious business, I chatted with the staff and daydreamed. So it was apt to deliver "Imagine" and "What a Wonderful World". It used to make me cry at the line "they're really saying I love you".

There isn't much else to say but personally, dinner tonight was very satisfying. Yes I had time for a small one. Grilled potato cubes in sambal with squid. And loose bales of chicken skin! Nic the bartender made me a special drink since I couldn't decide on what I wanted. He made an orange-yellow mocktail with fruit pieces in it. Pineapple or mango, maybe both. It tasted like something I knew but I didn't know what it was. Nonetheless it was a delightful thirst quencher! Got me thinking: If I could only taste that familiar sunrise through sleepy eyes, how happy I'd be.

No comments:

Post a Comment