"CATCH ME LIVE!"

I sing every Monday to Saturday at Holiday Inn Atrium, Singapore - 7:45pm to 10:45pm.
Free entrance at the Lobby Lounge. Find out more below:

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=193307951274&index=1

Profession: Singer, actress, mistress of ceremony (or emcee), model, drama trainer.
Gillian Tan finally has a casual & regular blog. This is Z Jil. Thanks for popping by!

Saturday, January 9, 2010

Night 8 - Let's Fall In Love

Tonight was magical!

Special thanks to the guests. Everyone was tapping along, listening, having a fun time and we also fed off their energy and did some happy up-tempo numbers. Like 7. Kidding.

I even had someone come on stage an try to duet with me and I hope Adi wasn't too shocked by that. I hope we can work something out for my volunteer duet partner on Monday.

Our first set was smooth with relaxed numbers like "Sunny Side of The Street" and "Something Stupid". A regular came by for the first set and gave me some lozenges because I was coughing yesterday. Now I kinda remember that. How sweet! Literally too. :-) A young Burmese waitress told him that she had never heard most of the songs we performed but I think she sang along to the classic "Moon River". That set served as a good precursor to our next set.

My friends Joe and Li stopped by for my second set and very encouragingly applauded "For Sentimental Reasons", "I Wish You Love", "Blue Bayou" and every other song in that set. Aren't they lovely?

I also performed "Quando" with a longer version of my Singapore property version and my original parody goes like this:

Tell me where do you reside? Is it condo condo condo?
Not a HDB like me, or a landed property.

Is it near the MRT, from your condo condo condo?
Can you walk there easily? Or do you have to take taxi?

Every floor has a lift. Every lift has a mirror.
Can you show me the way, to the sauna and the pool?

I can't wait a moment more, for a condo condo condo.
Get me keys to my own door. And then agent, tell me where.

(Parody Lyrics Copyright by Gillian Tan)


The Singaporeans loved it (the few who were there). Then "La Bamba" was met with dancing and sing-alongs! I did my Japanese number "Ue o muite arukō" ("I look up when I walk" aka "Sukiyaki") again tonight in my last set which went well and the crowd showed their appreciation. At one of the tables sat this lovely couple!
Affable Bob and his lovely wife Nui (I must clarify the spelling of her name) were here with their two adorable daughters who had, by the end of my last set, gone to bed. I guess they enjoyed the show so much they bought me a Piña colada. My delightful soul-pal EZ joined us and we had such fun talking about Thailand, Singapore, the US and more!

One of our guests was leaving for the airport to catch a flight at midnight (!!) since he was only here for a day, yet it was good that he managed to catch Adi and me in action. We delivered 3 requests: "Girl from Ipanema", "Paper Moon" and "Autumn Leaves". One requester was so sweet, he gave me a tip. :-) I was going to split it with Adi but he left right after the final set, but the usually forgetful Jill shall remember this on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment